Rameshwaram has immense importance in Hindu culture. It is one of the four abodes of Hindus that is known as Char Dham. The location of Rameshwaram is another thing which is truly attractive as it is situated on the tip of the Indian Peninsula at the Gulf of Manner. The importance of this place lies in the fact that Lord Rama made the bridge to Lanka to rescue, and it is the same place where Lord Rama worshiped Lord Shiva to make himself clean from the guilt of killing Ravana.
The best time when you can visit Rameshwaram is in the month of October till April when the temperature stays between 17 degrees to 32 degrees, and during this time you can have a pleasant weather and also enjoy windy winters of Rameshwaram. If you want to experience the monsoon bliss at Rameshwaram, then you need to visit this place during the month of August when the temperature remains within 28 degrees to 35 degrees.
Rameshwaram As a Pilgrimage
Rameshwaram is a place which is full of temples that have rich architecture besides being believed to be the holiest places and the most sacred places in India. The major pilgrim centers of Rameshwaram are -
- Sri Ramanathaswamy Temple: This temple is the main temple for pilgrimage in Rameshwaram, and the deitythatisworshiped here is Lord Shiva in the form of Linga which is made upof elements like salt, stone, and sand etc. The architecture of the temple has Dravidian style, which is really unique and rare in the temples built during that era. The temple is surrounded by ponds, but at present there are only 12,that are left. Another fact which makes this temple famous across the world is the pillared corridor which is second largest in the world.
- Kothandaramaswamy Temple: This temple holds deities of Lord Rama, Sita, Lakshman and Hanuman, and is famous among the Hindus as a sacred place. The temple is located besides the shallow beachesand the azure sea, and is one of the most visited places in Rameshwaram.
- Hanuman Temple: Closely situated to Rameshwaram temple, this hanuman temple has 5 manifestations of Hanumanji who is worshiped by Hindus. It is one of the most prestigious places in Rameshwaram. The idol of Hanumanji is carved out from a huge stone which is known as the Senthooram stone, which is regarded as one of the most precious stones.
- Agni Theertham: It is believed to be one of the 64 sacred bathing places in India, where one can get rid of their sins and guilt.
Famous Nearby Areas or Locations
Rameshwaram has such places which can amaze people and tourists in a second besides being the holiest place and a part of Char Dham. Few of them are â€“
- Ariyaman Beach is huge spreading across 150 meters in width and 2 km in length and is famous as a picnic and tourist spot.
- The Dhanuskodi Beach is on the southern part of the city and is famous for the merger of the Indian Ocean and the Bay of Bengal.
- Adamâ€™s Bridge, popularly known as Rama Setu connects Sri Lanka to India which is always been on the top of the list of famous tourist spots in Rameshwaram.
- Water Bird Sanctuary is a home to various migratory birds.